Tuesday, June 16, 2009

First Things First

Sunday I moved into my new row house. My address is:

2624 E. Letterly St.
Philadelphia, PA 19125

Write to me and send me things because I'd like that.

My apartment is extremely adorable: the lady who owns it has great taste and a lot of quirky, interesting knickknacks. I will post pictures as soon as I am able to do so. The guy next door put a lock on his internet, so I have to figure out how to either hack into his or how to buy my own. It's up in the air.

There are a bunch of kids in the area playing games and running around. I may or may not steal of a couple of them. And a lot of people walk around, which makes me feel safer.

The house is within (4) blocks of (3) bars. Perfect. One bar, Ye Old Blarney Stone Tavern, is a total hole. And not in the way that I had wanted. There were a bunch of old people with stump limbs hanging out and getting rowdy. They only serve cans and bottles of beer, including mini bottle which look bizarre. They claim to serve food, but I'm pretty sure that's referring to the instant Beef Ramen Noodle Bowls that were stacked in a corner. I probably won't go there again...except I know I will. There is another bar (3) blocks up Letterly and (1) block to the right on Cumberland called the Memphis Tap Room. That bar is really great. Perry and I went there for dinner and they have delicious food and a wonderful beer selection. There aren't that many draughts, but the ones they have are all craft. I had a local stout and a Swedish porter. The people in there were pretty young and trendy (perhaps too trendy for someone like me that wears only solids and the occasional striped shirt). There were bearded men that I plan to hit on. There is also another bar called the Triple Shot Tavern. I haven't gone there yet, but I'm probably going to go tomorrow when I'm left all alone.

Other Things Around My House: trashy fast food, a grocery store, weird strip mall stores, a hoagie shop, a water ice place, and a ROCK AND ROLL EXXON. I didn't go in there, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be Wicked Awesome. I plan to explore more things in the next week when Zofia's away being a camp counselor.

By now I'm sure you're all wondering about Zofia. She's wonderful. She's very funny and nice and the right amount of talkative. We chatted for hours yesterday with no breaks and it was really fun. I think we're going to become great friends. Plus, she's adorable, which means I don't have to start having ugly friends. That would have been a real bummer. The only downside is that she leaves for a week starting tomorrow morning, so I'm probably going to get bored by myself. Especially since we don't have internet and cable. Right now I'm pining for Stumble Upon and Daisy of Love. My life is slowly re-approaching shambles.

Yesterday Perry and I went downtown to hang out. We walked along South St., went to some Irish Pubs, and ate Philly Cheesesteaks. Awesome. We tried to go to the Liberty Bell, but there was no street parking and the garages have a height limit of 6' 4", which is too baby for an F150 XL. Dang Blast It! After that we decided to go back to the house and drink beer. Oh, PENNSYLVANIA IS WEIRD ABOUT ALCOHOL. You can only buy alcohol in state owned stores, which mostly aren't open on Sunday. And, the beer stores are like warehouses, so you can only buy cases of beer. It's very strange. But you can get takeout alcohol from bars. It's all backwards here.







I've been thinking that since I'm about to have an adult job I should start doing adult things. That means I'm going to start wearing heels, infuse oil with things and bake my own bread. I was thinking about quilting, but that may be a too old activity.


In Other News: I'm totally not looking forward to unpacking.
In Other Other News: I need to stop writing here and start filling out my SDP application for the interview I have in an hour.

1 comment:

  1. When I come to Philly we are going to stop at the ROCK N' ROLL EXXON FOR cigs, then we are going to go to all three bars in your vicinity, after we are sufficiently hammered, we are going to eat a Philly Steak Sandwhiches. Don't steal the children.

    ReplyDelete